Wednesday, 2 January 2008

Norwegian/Welsh Cabbage Rolls

1 Large cabbage
1 beaten egg
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound ground beef - I sometimes fry with chili powder, Greek seasoning or what have you
1 cup instant rice*
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* See note below regarding: 1 small can of tomato paste
PLUS:  1 Large can of tomato juice (your choice - sometimes I get spicy - sometimes not)

Core cabbage and then immerse in large pot of boiling water until you can basically pull the cabbage leaves off one at a time. (I find this whole procedure very messy and I usually burn myself a bit with boiling water because I'm not patient enough to cool the cabbage down. Good luck!)

Cover bottom of oven proof cooking pan with some tomato juice.

Combine egg, onion, salt, and pepper, cooked ground beef, uncooked instant rice, brown sugar, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Place mixture in middle of cabbage leaf and then fold in sides and roll ends over meat mixture. Place in ovenproof pan. When you have a layer of cabbage rolls, pour tomato juice over that layer and start another layer until you run out of (a) pan (b) meat mixture (c) patience.

I usually have left over cabbage which I'll stuff into the pan anywhere I can fit it.

Pour tomato juice over mixture, cover and place in 325-350 degree oven for 1-1/2 to 3 hours, pouring tomato juice over rolls whenever there's room.

Makes lots! You can eat plain or with sour cream. Enjoy!




NOTE:  Lately I've been making my cabbage rolls in the slow cooker, on high for about 6 hours. Additionally, I've been mixing in a can of tomato paste and as they don't seem to have have instant rice in Ecuador, I've been using a risotto rice mixture (uncooked) that is just fine.  Also for the slow cooker version, I don't precook the meat.  Just mix all the ingredients together, wrap in precooked cabbage and place in slow cooker.  Lastly, I've been precooking the cabbage the day before and sticking it in a bag in the fridge overnight and then making the cabbage rolls the next day.  It really makes the whole making of the cabbage rolls MUCH easier -- otherwise the entire process tends gets a tad crazy - but up to you.